Under general administrative direction, the Clinical Training &
EHR Support Analyst supports the Portfolio Electronic Health Record
training for the University of Maryland Medical System. This role
will provide direct technical support for clinical and operational
end users of the electronic health record. This role will provide
high level front line customer service and interact with staff in a
professional manner. This staff will round on units, answer support
calls from departments, and solve/answer hardware/software/workflow
questions. Activities include tracking and documentation of user
requests, engaging appropriate site/corporate /client resources to
support the operations and timely closing of support requests. This
role will assist in the development and implementation of strategic
initiatives that will enable employees to develop competence in the
use of computer software and systems utilized by both clinical and
non-clinical employees throughout the University of Maryland
Medical System (UMMS).
This role is accountable for the quality of informatics training
and support services delivered, for coordination with IS&T
application training teams, and for contributing to the design and
maintenance of systems to support multidisciplinary team
functioning and continuity of services within UMMS Hospitals and
the Medical System. The Clinical Training & EHR Support Analyst
also may manage small to medium projects or specific aspects of
projects and initiatives for training and support for clinical or
business applications in the healthcare environment.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general
nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list
of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Participates in managing training projects for assigned
application(s) including the design, development, delivery,
evaluation, continuous improvement, optimization training and/or
other performance improvement and staff development with direction
and supervision from the Training Leadership team.
A. Effectively delivers assigned IT application training
programs that support the strategic initiatives of UMMS Hospitals
B. Develops and tests web-based training programs using
C. Assimilates training needs and develop training modules to
effectively meet the needs of a diverse organization.
D. Provides customer support during and following go-live.
2. Coordinates logistics associated with training delivery
preparation activities such as copying and assembling printed
materials, set-up, maintenance of training rooms, equipment
preparation, post training clean-up, etc.
3. Participates in training-related performance improvement
initiatives and with maintaining training metrics. Follows
effective control processes and compliance monitoring to ensure
risks are: measured, monitored, controlled, and mitigated. Uses
researched-based/best practice methodology, Assists with
verification and validation of software programs and materials
utilized in training programs for completeness and accuracy.
4. Conduct training as a primary trainer or act as an assistant to
another credentialed trainer during end user classes for new
implementations, ongoing training and upgrade/functionality
5. Communicate Portfolio EHR changes and enhancements to end users
in specialty area and service lines area of designated support.
6. Supports with the maintenance, ongoing training, education and
support of organizational Portfolio Super Users and maintains
relationships and communication with Super Users and organizational
7. Assist with development and delivery of scenario-based training,
8. Assist with curriculum refinement, course development and
training material preparation, as needed.
9. Participates as a member of various project workgroups, attends
meetings as required.
10. Provides consulting services to departments within and
outside the UMMS organization to develop EHR Training plans,
programs, and support models for computer systems.
11. Develops constructive work relationships with other IT team
members and customers inside and outside the Medical System. Serves
as a resource for and mentors trainers of all levels and reports
progress to Leadership.
12. Independently leads ongoing education and development of
department staff for cross-training, continuing education and
13. Facilitates and/or attends team meetings and other assigned
meetings as needed. Completes post-meeting minutes and communicates
information to training team members. Completes projects,
assignments, and goals within desired timeframes.
14. Provides first level problem analysis, acquires a base
knowledge of assigned applications to support clinical and
operational departments. Responds to calls regarding clinical
hardware and software. Escalates calls to leadership or relevant
departments as necessary.
15. Assists customers to identify and specify the nature of
basic to moderately complex requests or problems. Assists in
troubleshooting and managing minor clinical hardware and equipment
16. Acts as the primary support of the EHR systems solutions for
the user community.
17. Assists with application support testing/training activities
18. Maintains proficiency in UMMS local hospital systems,
policies, credentials and procedures as required.
19. Works with multidisciplinary project and operational staff
to help implement, maintain and improve the EHR.
20. Log problems, issues and requests when appropriate. Collects
data from customers to aid problem determination/resolution.
Provides on-going follow up to customers throughout the support
process until the resolution of issues.
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree in Nursing or applicable field or
comparable applicable industry experience preferred.
2. Where applicable for Clinical Roles, clinical licensure in the
State of Maryland, or eligibility for licensure due to Compact
state agreements is required..
3. Three or more years of clinical experience or comparable
education and clinical experience in related healthcare field
4. Informatics or Training Industry Certification recommended.
5. Application credentialing required within first 90 days of
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, Access,
PowerPoint, basic computer concepts, knowledge of microcomputer
operating systems and application software required.
2. Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work
with all levels within the organization.
3. Effective verbal and written communication skills are
necessary to advise and consult with user personnel and make formal
presentations of project findings and recommendations.
4. Ability to explain complex technical issues to both technical
and non-technical customers are required.
5. Self-motivated, highly organized and detail oriented skills
6. Demonstrated ability to be adaptable and flexible based on
changing business and training environment needs is required.
7. Ability to work in a team-oriented environment is required.
Develops effective working relationships and maintains excellent
communication with other team members.
8. Excellent organization skills: demonstrates confidence and