VP Global Industrial Design (Consumer Product)
Company: Stanley Black & Decker
Posted on: June 3, 2021
VP Global Industrial Design (Consumer Product)
Global - GTS - Customer Experience (GCX)
No. of Positions
The VP of Industrial Design will be responsible for the global team
that supports the Stanley Black & Decker Global Tools & Storage
(GTS) business. The team delivers design solutions that bridge end
user needs with manufacturable solutions that deliver best in class
product usability regardless of the customer segment. Industrial
Design is a critical function within the Global Customer Experience
team working collaboratively with Brand, Brand Studio, Ecomm and
Insights. The team includes industrial designers, digital
visualizers, 3D CAD and prototype specialists. Our design center
footprint includes ten design centers in seven countries across
five time zones. We deliver design solutions for all categories and
brands within the GTS portfolio of products.
- Minimum Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) from an accredited design
program and 10+ years professional experience.
- Proven ability to lead in a global cross functional, multi
discipline design team at scale.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage budgets within
- International experience a plus.
- Strong, creative leader and management of a global team with
the capacity to inspire the creative staff to deliver exceptional
- Is firmly committed to the common goals of the organization
translated to the performance metrics of the global team.
- Agility to direct compelling design solutions across multiple
product categories based on user and commercialization needs.
- Guide user insights-based needs into market-relevant,
commercially viable product that delivers the appropriate usability
and customer experience.
- Drive product development collaboration and coordination across
the global design centers as well as cross-functionally with
Product, Engineering, Channel, Operations, Quality, and
- Operates the Industrial Design function as a business unit with
a clear strategy including a continual improvement mindset open to
disruption of the status quo.
- Strong knowledge in design feasibility encompassing product
schedule, costing, manufacturability, and intellectual property
- Deep understanding and consideration of the multi-cultural make
up of the global team including challenges communicating across
- Proactive, sets expectations, clearly communication across all
- Self-directed and energetic
- Communicates across the global team with an appreciation for
the diversity, cultural differences, time zones and strengths
- Positive communication style motivating the team to operate at
a high level
- Builds relationships within the core design team and key
stakeholders across the business.
- Objective to business needs with an understanding of cost and
schedule tradeoffs related to NPD.
- Builds and leads strategy within the core design team and
across the GCX team.
- Provides steady team leadership through business
- Progressively looks for opportunities to improve the team
through process improvements and organizational structure
- Develops and cultivates talent across the team
- Ability to rapidly make decisions in a fast-paced changing
- Exhibits humility and self-awareness in all situations
- Bases design solutions on end user insights both qualitative
- Leads the building of Visual Brand Language across multiple
brands and categories
- Understanding of Color Material & Finish as applied to product
- Utilizes design thinking and methodology to objectively solve
- Guides vs dictating design solutions, empowers the team to
deliver informed solutions
- Technical aptitude of mechanical and electrical
- Understanding of manufacturing and supply chain operations
- Ergonomics background related to product usability
- Understanding of UX/UI interface design
- Knowledge of the development of brand architecture
- Deep understanding of business profit and loss statements
- Understanding of the implications of cost and schedule on
- Ability to flex to business unit presidents needs and
- Can develop organizational structure to meet the needs of the
- GCX impact on business results
- Appreciation for Stanley Black & Decker brand and product
- Ability to translate the business product road prioritization
into an actionable resource plan
All qualified applicants to Stanley Black & Decker are
considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
disability, veterans status or any other protected
All qualified applicants to Stanley Black & Decker are considered
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability,
veterans status or any other protected characteristic.
Featured Category on SBD Careers
Marketing & Communications
Keywords: Stanley Black & Decker, Towson , VP Global Industrial Design (Consumer Product), Other , Towson, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!